Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Talent Development, Star Performers and Bell Labs



The recently published The Idea Factory: Bell Labs and the Great Age of American Innovation has received wide favourable comment.  Reading it reminded me of an earlier assessment that is relevant in a era where business is acutely conscious of the need to manage talent.

Here is a checklist of behaviours and attitudes encouraged in staff by Bell Labs in an effort to create star performers.


Going beyond the job

  • I make the most of my present assignment.
  • I do more than I am asked to do.
  • I look for places where I might spot problems and fix them.
  • I fix bugs that I notice (in programs) or at least tell someone about them.
  • I look for opportunities to do extra work to help the project move along more quickly.

New ideas and follow-through

  • I try to do some original work.
  • I look for places where something that’s already done might be done better.
  • I have ideas about new features and other technical projects that might be developed.
  • When I have an idea, I try to make it work and let people know about it.
  • I try to document what my idea is and why it’s a good idea.
  • I think about and try to document how my idea could save the company money or bring in new business.
  • I seek advice from people who have been successful in promoting ideas.
  • I construct a plan for selling my idea to people in the company.

Dealing constructively with criticism.

  • I tell colleagues about my ideas to get their reactions and criticisms.
  • I use their comments and criticisms to make my ideas better.
  • I consult the sources of criticism to help find solutions.
  • I continue to revise my ideas to incorporate my colleagues’ concerns.

Planning for the future

  • I spend time planning what I’d like to work on next.
  • I look for other interesting projects to work on when my present work gets close to the finish line.
  • I talk to people to find out what projects are coming up and will need people.

Source:  Kelley R and Caplan J (1993)  How Bell Labs creates star performers.  Harvard Business Review, July-August 1993 pp.128

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Dynamics of Discovery...the start of the innovation process. Or, industry might want applied research but that is not what it needs...

From Archimedes to Edison, attempts to improve quality of life have dictated a need for advances in science and technology. These ad...